Electrostatics- MCQ

Go down

Electrostatics- MCQ

Post  Shohini on Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:22 am

Which of the following quatities do not depend on the choice of zero potential or zero potential energy?
a. potential at a point.
b. potential difference between two points
c. potential energy of a two charge system
d. change in potential energy of a two charge system.

Ans: b, d

Shohini

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Electrostatics- MCQ

Post  Pinnaka on Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:59 am

once again this relates to concept of electric potential and electric potential of a system. Suppose consider this if we define electric potential to be zero at infinity then the electric potential at some distance r in a electric field has some positive value. As the distance grows the 1/r term increases and the electric potential becomes zero at infinity. Now when we define zero ( electric potential) at earth then at some distance from the earth the electric potential is very small. SO two choices of reference gives us different values of electric potential at the same point. Now coming to potential energy which is defined as U = q*V so it has direct dependence upon the electric potential. Now coming to point of difference in the values of V and U. then by above reasoning we have points whose potential is interchanged due to the change in the references. By their difference is a term of absolute values is going to remain the same. So therefore electric potential difference doesn’t depend upon the reference points and well about electric potential energy DU = DV*q. So DU also doesn’t depend upon the reference points (where D refers to delta)

Hope this helps cheers cheers
Pinnaka

Pinnaka
Admin

View user profile http://iitjeescience.bigforumpro.com

Back to top Go down

Please explain in simple language

Post  Shohini on Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:14 pm

I am really very sorry but could you please explain me the following question:Which of the following quatities do not depend on the choice of zero potential or zero potential energy?
a. potential at a point.
b. potential difference between two points
c. potential energy of a two charge system
d. change in potential energy of a two charge system.

Ans: b, d

P.S: Actually I really didnt get your previous explanation. So this is a humble request from my side.
Hope you wont mind Smile

Shohini

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Electrostatics- MCQ

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum